Friday, July 11, 2008

I Like Dirt!

Another exciting day! I don't think I have ever been so excited to go to a class or work in my life! I feel like I have learned more in this short week, than I have in a whole semester. The best part is, that much of what I have learned has actually come from my classmates. I am lucky to have such a wealth of knowledge in them. The reading facilitations on the works of Wessels and the other authors in the packet continue to be excellent. Each person or group that has presented has provided a unique perspective on the readings. I hope that my group will be able to do the same.

While in the field on Thursday, we learned GPS skills, tree coring, and some basic wetland deliniation. I have to say I enjoyed all of the activities, but the wetland activity was what I enjoyed most. There is just something about looking at and feeling dirt that gets me excited. It is interesting that when just initially observing a piece of land, your intuition of whether it is classified as wetland or upland may be wrong. It is always exciting to find out if you were right or not.

The tree coring activity was interesting as well, I am looking forward to doing more of this. It is amazing how much information a tree can provide you with. It is like a living history book. I guess you could say the land itself is a history book as well, all you need to do is learn how to read it properly.

I think we developed a lot of interesting ideas and topics for our final projects and I look forward to the final decisions. I am hoping to do some serious contemplating this weekend, in order to figure out what I would really like. It would probably be in my best interest to pick something totally beyond what I would typically pick. This would give me chance to really focus on something new. I guess we will see what happens!

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend, and I know I can't wait for Monday!

1 Comments:

At July 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Lara said...

Your passion is terrific. It is wonderful to work with students such as yourself that find excitement in learning.

I also look forward to the final decisions about the research projects!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home