Tuesday, July 8, 2008

First Day at Barrington Headwaters


Wow, what a day! It was hot out there. We spent a majority of the day walking along the Barrington Headwaters range road. We began our exploration in scavenger hunt style, which not only caused us to look specifically at each station of the scavenger hunt, but also to notice everything along the way. It was great! There were so many things to notice, and each person saw something different. I really think the best part is that each person brings their own experiences, ideas, and interests. I think I will learn so much from my classmates.

One of the things that I was most interested in today was observing the old building foundations and stone walls. It is amazing to me that this was once a more populated area. There really would not be much evidence of this had the foundations not been there. It just reminds me that we really are part of the land and that even after we have left an area, our impact can be seen. This was also evident in other places, such as an area where past logging activity could be seen. The trees on one side of the road were much larger and mostly pine and hemlock, while on the other side, the trees were much thinner, younger, and mostly birch. Learning to look for differences such as these, will be valuable to understanding the history of forests that one explores. The trees really do tell a story.

Another area we observed was a beaver dam. I am always impressed by the craftsmanship and ingenuity of the beaver. To me they are "ecological architects", able to change the landscape in drastic ways. The fact that something so small can have such a huge impact is a reminder that as more complex beings, our impact can be much greater.

We can all take a lesson from observing the environment around us and ensure that we are stewards of the world we live in.

I look forward to spending more time in the field, observing, exploring, and continuing to learn, understand, and continue to build and alter my relationship with the natural world. After only two days, I can already feel a personal change. I look forward to using the things I learn both in the classroom and in the field to help others better appreciate our natural world.

1 Comments:

At July 13, 2008 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Lara said...

Your description of the beaver's impact interested me. I also have heard beavers referred to as "ecosystem engineers" as they change the landscape so dramatically.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home